Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ms. Barbie says, "Thinking is hard."

I love irony.
Feminazi I'm not. Yet, neither am I sitting quietly in a corner with a doily on my head waiting for my man to tell me what to do. However, of the two postures, it's the first that I find most objectionable...and ironic.

Here's the thing: feminism requires a distinction between male and female, yet demands equality. Can you really burn your bra and wear lace too? (That's a rhetorical question Barbie.)

Think about it. If I can't be comfortable, as a woman, being part of mankind, it must be because I know I'm not man. If I have to say, as a woman, "please refrain from using masculine personal pronouns when generically talking about 'people' (aka male and female humans)" I have to wonder, why the distinction? Shouldn't feminists be at work erasing the use of feminine pronouns instead of creating new ones? (Ms. Barbie, that is not a trick question.)

Inconsistency is nothing new for the shrill. In fact, I think it's kind of their banner, their coat of arms. When linear thinking jumps the track, it's the sound created that becomes important. The less sense their argument makes, the louder their voices grow. One sound, however, you're never likely to hear is the application of the brakes.

As I look at the landscape of women in the church today, I find more and more an agenda of feminism that doesn't line up with scripture. (I would suggest these women look to the healthy examples of women in leadership—working in concert with men—in Priscilla, Lydia, Mary Magdelene, and others. I don't think these women were worried about proclaiming and promoting God's feminine side or changing titles from chairman to chairperson.)

As I look at the opportunities for women in the church today, I find men reluctant to share the space. (I would suggest these men prayerfully consider the roles of the women mentioned above and how we are all called joint heirs with Christ and have all become part of the priesthood of believers.)

I don't yet fully know what Kingdom work God is preparing me for, but the bottom line is this: I'm man's complement, not his competition. I'm God's creation, HE is my Father and I'm good with that.

2 comments:

Ed said...

Jenette;

Nice post. I chose this one to read first because it sounded interesting. It was.
You're a wonderful writer.

I'll be back to read more.


~Ed Parker

Anonymous said...

Wow! So far, I'm mesmerized my your intellectually stimulating blog. Most people use their blogs for casual updates, but not you. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and your feelings about women. I think it's not spoken about often due to the general ignorance of the subject. It's just swept under the rug. Oh, and thank you for using proper grammar and spelling. It's refreshing.